Chowanoke Descendants Community

Forum

Forum Home > Chowanoke History > Chowan among the Cherokee in Wilkes Co. Mulberry Fields

Tommyhawk Robbins

I posted in geanealogy about exploring the Robbins family in Wilkes and finding a reference to Chowanoke being there with the Cherokee. And that was inter-marriage between this Robbins family and the Cherokee, who ended up in the Eastern Cherokee nation with the last name of Hicks. I believe that this area was not ceded by the Cherokee unti 1790 but settlement by white people began as early as 1742.

This warrants discussion due to the fact that the Freeman family was also found in the area of Wilkes Co. as well, specifically a Moses Freeman, great grandson of John Freeman and Tabitha Hoyter. I believe there is also a Freeman married into this Robbins family. The founding family of this Chowan community on the Yadkin River in Mulberry fields was John P Waters and Elizabeth Cullon according to the discussion on the Saponi forum.

Note: Sequoyah was from Wilkes Co. Wilkes county was formed from part of Surry Co.

I cannot help but wonder how the Indians felt; no place to run, no place to hide!

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

August 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.