Chowanoke Descendants Community

Forum

Forum Home > Chowanoke History > Chaunis Temoatan

Collins

http://books.google.com/books?id=__hLG1uFC7YC&pg=PA123&dq=Saponi+Creation&hl=en&ei=w66lS62aNNOWtgfQpLWkCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDYQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=Saponi%20Creation&f=false

Pages 126 and 127

The source of the native supply of copper was evidently near the southern boundary of the present Virginia, some miles south of the center of the infant colony, and the existence of the mines was mentioned in "the Instructions, Orders and Constitutions by way of Advise set downe, declared and propounded to Sir. Tho. Gates, Knight Governour of Virginia, when he left England in 1609." The document is now in the British Museum (MS. vol. 21993, fol. 178 et seq.) and contains much interesting and valuable information. From it the following may be made:

“Four dayes Journey from your forte Southerward is a town called Ononahorne, seated where the river Choanock divideth itself into three branches and falleth into the sea of Rawnocke in thirty five degrees. If you make your principall and choise seate you shall doe most safely and richly because you are in the heart of Lands open to the south and two of the best rivers will supply you, besides you are neare to with Copper mines of Ritane and may passe them by one branch of the river, and by another Peccareca- micke where you shall finde four of the Englishe alsoe, lost by Sir Walter Raweley, which escaped from the slaughter of Powhatan of Roanocke upon the first arivall of our Colony and live under the protection of a wiroano call’d Sepanocan enemy to Powhatan, by whose consent you shall never receive them, one of these were worth much laboar and if you finde them not, yet search into this contrey it is more probable than towardes the North.”

Where is the location of Ritane?

Where is the location of Ononahorne?

Where is the location of Peccarecamicke?

Which tribe was Sepanocan the wiroano of...?

Free book to download:

"Discovering Chaunis Temoatan" by Tooker

http://books.google.com/books?id=U4dKAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Discovery+of+Chaunis+Temoatan&hl=en&ei=c3RrTJ-NJYO88gao2ICJBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

August 18, 2010 at 1:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Collins

Among this material from above I wanted to post the following regarding Ocanahowan which is mentioned.

"Ocananhowan - Recorded by Smith, and later by Starchey. It has not been decipherable in Algonquian. This is because the word is Siouan. Its construction is derived from the Tutelo yu:xkan, "man," "person" + ohon, "many" + hi wa, "come," "gather." Its meaning: "many people gather here." We have seen the exact word before in Algonquian: Occaneechi, the place where people gather." ----- "Roanoke" by Lee Miller Pg. 258 & 259

Learning the proper names of our peoples towns is of great benefit to us in the long run and I found this information very interesting. Perhaps stitching our peoples authentic history back together won't be so hard if we can keep finding things like this that at least help us establish true language ties to places that have been renamed by other tribes and then recorded as such. What is so bizzare to me though is that the word/name Ocananhowan sounds and looks more like Powhatan language than Saponi, but then again how much mis-information has been put out there to confound us all. Also by this information and the information in the book "Tuscarora Ascendant" shows a pretty clear trade connection to the Tuscarora and the Ocananhowan town.

August 18, 2010 at 2:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Fletcher Freeman

Thanks for posting the link to the Tooker book. I downloaded it and found it quite interesting!  Besides having  Chowan ancestry, I also have Tuscarora ancestry through my paternal grandmother from one William Taylor who signed as a Chief of the Tuscarora on a lease of 8,000 acres of the Indian Woods Reservation in 1766.

Where in Texas do you live?  I grew up in Wichita Falls, went to college in Dallas and lived there for 30 years and then moved to Northern Minnesota.

August 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LiciaSearch

John Fletcher Freeman at August 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the Tooker book. I downloaded it and found it quite interesting!  Besides having  Chowan ancestry, I also have Tuscarora ancestry through my paternal grandmother from one William Taylor who signed as a Chief of the Tuscarora on a lease of 8,000 acres of the Indian Woods Reservation in 1766.

Where in Texas do you live?  I grew up in Wichita Falls, went to college in Dallas and lived there for 30 years and then moved to Northern Minnesota.

Do you know if William Taylor had any mulatto children (Jacob, Fereby, Abram, Shepard, John)?

Thank you,

Helen

August 31, 2010 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Collins

I live in Euless, TX which is between Dallas and Fort Worth. Sorry I haven't responded before now.

April 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Collins
I got this in my email from this site today. I believe this Rebecca to be spamer. Rebecca sent you a private messageWednesday, April 13, 2011 2:00 PMFrom: "Chowanoke Descendants Community" Add sender to ContactsTo: [email protected].netRebecca sent you a message on Chowanoke Descendants Community -------------------- Subject: Hi Madam Rebecca S. Tubman Av. Blaise Diagne, Saint-Louis - Senegal. Good day to you. I am contacting you for an important investment proposal and therefore applying through this medium to go into joint partnership investment with you which I hope will benefit to both of us. I have secure your contact through a directory and I have interest so i decide to write you to open a channel of discussion with you. I wait your reply. [email protected] Yours Sincerely, Madam. Rebecca Tubman and George(son). 00221766943779. [email protected] -------------------- To reply to this message, follow the link below: http://chowanoke.webs.com/apps/auth/login?next=apps%2Fprofile%2Fmessages%2FviewThread%3Fid%3D2790834
April 13, 2011 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.