Chowanoke Descendants Community

Forum

Forum Home > Genealogy > Waters/Cullen family Chowanoke of Wilkes Co. ?

Tommyhawk Robbins

An Indian community on the YadkinRiver in the Mulberry Fields area of what is now Wilkes County lived prior tothe arrival of white settlers in the 1750's. This community had the oraltradition of being descendants of the Chowans and the survivors of The LostColony from the eastern coast of North Carolina as well as Portugease descent.From the coastal area, the tribe joined the Catawbas and then moved up theYadkin River to the Mulberry Fields area in the foothills of the Appalachians.This was neutral territory between the Catawbas and the Cherokees. The firstwhite man to cross the Catawba River and settle in Western N.C. was WILLIAMSHERRILL in 1742, but the Yadkin area which was not as "farmable" asthe lower Catawba Valley remained isolated from white exploration until BISHOPSPANGENBERG mapped this area in 1752 and identified one white family livingthere. By the 1780s the Indian community had orchards and plantations. In thelate 1700s and early 1800s a conflict arose over land grants and the same landbeing granted more than once. The property belonging to the Indian communitywas taken and sold at the courthouse in the late 1700s. The founding family ofthe known descendants of this Chowan community are JOHN P. WATERS &ELIZABETH CULLON. The children are William P. Waters, Wesley P. Waters, WallaceWaters, Louisa Waters, Ketton and Wilburn Waters. Wilburn Waters is the famousIndian from Ashe, and Wilkes Co., NC and Washington GCo., VA, as chronicled inThe Virginia Gazette in 1820-1830s. Some family members made claims through theCherokee Land Claims process, conducted by Guion Miller in 1901-1906. Twogenerations of the family members were prosecuted under the state'santi-miscegenation laws, which prohibited American Indians marrying whites.Because settlement Indians were part of the community, they were subject ot thecivil and criminal laws of the state and counties. Direct descendents still livein the foothills of the Appalachians in Caldwell, Ashe and Wilkes Counties.

In 1843 the State of North Carolina v. WILLIAM P. WATTERS, son of JOHN WATERS,in a court held at Ashe County, convicted WILLIAM WATERS and ZILPHIA THOMPSONof fornication. WILLIAM P. WATERS, son of ELIZABETH CULLUM, who was one halfCherokee Indian by blood. and JOHN P. WATERS of Scotch (?) blood, wasprosecuted in in the state court of the State of North Carolina for marryingZILPHA THOMPSON, the mother of his children. Not being sufficiently removedfrom his Indian blood to be free from prosecution under the State lawprohibiting the marriage of Indians and Whites, WILLIAM WATERS was found guiltyand fined him a good sum and was ordered to leave the State of North Carolina.It was proven in court that William P. Waters was of Cherokee Indian blood. Hiswife, ZILPHA, was one-sixteenth Cherokee blood through her line of descent fromNED SIZEMORE, a full-blood Cherokee Indian.

Waters and Thompson appealed their case to the North Carolina Supreme Courtclaiming that they had lawfully married and that some evidence supportingWaters' contention of "being descended from Portugese and not Negro orIndian ancestors" had been wrongfully disallowed. Water's racialcomposition was the pressing issue for the high court. If Waters werePortugese, then his marriage to Zilphia Thompson was legal and hence theconvictions would be overturned. The North Carolina Supreme Court reviewed thetestimony of the trial witnesses. ISSAC TINSLEY, a witness for the State,stated that he knew Waters' grandparents and that they were "coal blackNegroes." Defense witnesses contradicted Tinsley's testimony assertingthat Waters' grandmother, MARY WOOTEN, was "not as black as some Negroesand had thin lips." Other defense witnesses testified that they knewWaters' parents. His mother, ELIZABETH CULLOM, was described as a "brightmulatto with coarse straight hair" and his father as a "white man butof a dark complexion for a white man." From this testimony the high courtconcluded that further evidence as to Waters' racial composition would notchange the fact that in North Carolina Waters had sufficient black ancestry tobe defined as a person of color. The high court declared: "But admit thatthe defendants (sic) grandfather was white, and the grand-mother only halfAfrican - of which there is no evidence, still the defendant would have beenwithin the degree prohibited fr om contracting marriage with a white woman. Wesay, prohibited degree because although the act which annuls marriages betweenthe two races, uses the words "persons of color" generally we are ofopinion, that expression must be construed to other disabilities imposed , forpersons of a similar nature upon persons of mixed blood." Unfortunatelyfor WATERS and THOMPSON, their cover of closeness of color argument provedinsufficient to protect them from state punishment.

In the court documents where the child of theirs was being tried forfornication it is claimed again that she was Cherokee

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

August 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Fletcher Freeman

One of my Freeman ancestors showed up in Surry County, NC around 1778 when he acquired 100 acres at the mouth of Tararat Creek on the Yadkin River.   He later acquired another 167 acres there in 1782.  He died in 1802.  William was the son of John Freeman and Tabitha Hoyter and hence could be considered Chowan Indian although he identified himaself and family asn white on a tax list.  He was born in Chowan County around 1735/40.

--

August 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chassity Jackson

Thanks for posting this. The Waters and Thompsons are my ancestors.

June 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk Robbins

Chassity Jackson at June 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Thanks for posting this. The Waters and Thompsons are my ancestors.

Your welcome. They were neighbors to a Robbins family in the general area as well and some of the  descendants are currently members of the Cherokee Nation.

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

June 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rev. Jimmie Lee Robins [Tuklo Bish-Ko-Ko]

TommyHawk Robbins

I have record showins that my g-g-g-grandfahter was John Robins/Robbins, an his son Rueben & John living on Mulberry Creek in Wilkes, one his son' Thomas lived  Yadkin River. They have every land wholings.

William ROBINS, born c. 1745 in Orange Cty., Virginia, died c. 1774 in Orange Cty., Virginia. He was married c. 1766 to Ann FOSTER, born c. 1744, died 14 June 1833.

Capt. Thomas ROBINS, born c. 1748 in Orange Cty., Virginia, died bef. 1824 Coffey Cty., Tennessee. He was married on the 24 December 1775 to Mary FOSTER, she was born abt 1747, died 4 December 1807 in Wilkes Cty., North Carolina.

NOTE: Check this link for a surname history for the FOSTER line:Foster Link

John ROBINS Jr., born c. 1750 in Orange Cty., Virginia, died (?) in Franklin Cty., Tennessee. He married Elizabeth DOGAN in c. 1771 in Orange Cty., Virginia.

NOTE: Check this link for a surname history for the JONES/FOSTER line:Jones Line

Reuben ROBINS, born bet. 1750-1755 in Orange Cty., Virginia, died in 1833 in Wilkes Cty., North Carolina. He was married on the 29 April 1782 in Wilkes Cty., North Carolina to Jane TURNER, born c. 1760-70, died c. 1850-60

Mary ROBINS, born c. 1760 in Orange Cty., Virginia, died (?) in Wilkes Cty., North Carolina. She married Joseph ROBERTS c. 1781.

Ann ROBINS, born (?) in Orange Cty., Virginia. She married James SARTIN c. 1786.

Lucy ROBINS, born bet. 1755-60 in Orange Cty., Virginia, died bef. 1787 in Wilkes Cty., North Carolina. She married (Benjamin) BROWN

Sarah ROBINS, born (?). She married COLBY RUCKER c. 1786.

--
July 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wiliam's parents, Reuben ROBBINS, born 1754 in Orange Cty., VA., died 1833 in Wilkes Cty., NC.. He married Jane TURNER, Apr 29, 1782 in Wilkes Cty., NC.. She was born 1760-70 and died 1850-60.

--
August 8, 2013 at 2:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John ROBINS: reference: First American census, 1784 for Ware Parish, Cloucester Cty., John Robbins, 4 persons, 1 dwelling and 4 outbuildings. Records of land purchase in Orange Cty., Virginia in 1760. All of his sons were born before that date. There are no records [to date] about where they came from before coming to Orange Cty., Virginia. The family relocated from Orange Cty., Virginia to Surry Cty., [now Wilkes Cty.] in North Carolina about 1775. Land records for Mulberry Creek, 1777--indicate he owned two plantations. The home place contained about 396 acres, and the adjoining smaller plantation was about 140 acres. It was located in Capt. Herndon's District.

According to the list; the improvements were, 8 head of horses and 12 head of cattle. According to the 1782 records, Mulberry Creek and Reddies River are Capt. Judd's District with an increase in the size of John ROBBINS, Sr's plantations. They had increased to 936 acres, 6 head horses and 6 head cattle.

His occupation is not indicated in any of the records, but one can safely say he was involved in some type of argricultural pursuit, due to the ownership of the two plantations.

According to the 1787 Wilkes County census: John Robins, Sr had increased his land holdings to 636 acres. The land holdings of his two son;s; John and Thomas along with his totalled over 1907 acres.[Historical speculation: These were probably some of the largest platations in North Carolina for that period.]

reference: ["John O. Hawkins, A nest of Robins: The Wilkes County, North Carolina, Robbins Family" (Patterson, NC: Staley Publishing Co., n.d.) p.1.]

--
August 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Thomas ROBBINS (ROBINS?), Born 1660 in VA., Died 5 Aug. 1725 in Yorktown, Westmoreland Co., VA.

Married to Isabella BAILEY b: ABT. 1643[?] in Westmoreland Co., VA

Children of Thomas Robbins and Isabella Baily

Thomas ROBBINS, b: 1695 in Westmoreland County, VA. d: 12/4/1775 in Edgecombe County, NC. Married to: Sarah MADDOX.

[NOTES on Thomas ROBBINS] They had eight children; information provided by Bruce ROBBINS.

John ROBBINS Sr., b: 1698 in Westmoreland Co., VA

John ROBBINS Sr., Born 1698 in Westmoreland Co., VA

Married to Elizabeth [?] Unknown

Additional information on John ROBBINS; verifed common ancestry by Y-DNA Test 100%

Children of John Robbins Sr. and Elizabeth

John ROBBINS Jr., b: ABT. 1720 in Gloucester Cty. VA.

John ROBINS/ROBBINS, Jr., born c.1720, in Gloucester Cty., Virginia, died before August 1792, in Wilkes Cty., North Carolina.

Married to Margaret STROTHER (?), born c. 1725, died c. 1786, they were married about 1743 in Virginia.

August 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

In 1785 a George McNeel sold 120 acres to Josiah, witnessed by James Sartain and Robert

Shepherd. Later that same year Josiah sold 50 acres on the N. side of the South Fork of the

Reddies River to Robert Shepherd, again witnessed by James Sartain.8

James married Nancy "Ann" Robins 10 Sept. 1786 in Wilkes Co., NC.9 He appears on the

1787 NC state census in Wilkes Co.™, near Josiah Sartain, Sr. and in the 1790 NC census is

near John Robins/Robbins, Jr., his father-in-law.11 Nancy's age is uncertain - judging.

Name Acres # polls

Robins, John 651 5

Robins, Reuben - 1

Shepard, James 210 3

" John 645 1

Sartin, James 120 1

" Josiah 100 1

jsartain.doc page ,

August 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk

Here in OK we have to here CDIC to center. 

August 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Forgive me, the stroke some times make programs. CDIB correct  spelling.

August 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk Robbins

I do believe that my Reuben George Robins is your Reuben's grandson but I cannot prove it.

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

December 20, 2013 at 1:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk Robbins at December 20, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I do believe that my Reuben George Robins is your Reuben's grandson but I cannot prove it.

Tommy

You are looking for William Berry Robins/Robbins Sr's side of your family.  William's two daughters Fannie & Sarah, married to Ross and Hick. William is my 2 great - grandfather. If has very specfic American Indian roll 

January 1, 2015 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk Robbins

I followed William Berry Robins into Tennessee and the siblings all seem to fit. There is no other Robbins/Robins family that can fit in the entire country, but there is no paper trail I can find. Just circumstantial evidence. My Reuben George Robins/ Robbins had a grandson named George Berry Robbins which really has me thinking. I know about the daughters of William marrying Ross and Hicks and that is also so convincing. I believe that Fannie Robbins Hicks and William Hicks are buried in Cherokee territory in NC.

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

March 1, 2015 at 11:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Fletcher Freeman at August 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM

One of my Freeman ancestors showed up in Surry County, NC around 1778 when he acquired 100 acres at the mouth of Tararat Creek on the Yadkin River.   He later acquired another 167 acres there in 1782.  He died in 1802.  William was the son of John Freeman and Tabitha Hoyter and hence could be considered Chowan Indian although he identified himaself and family asn white on a tax list.  He was born in Chowan County around 1735/40.

John;

How are you? Are you still around? Are you the by related to  Patience Freeman,

Birth 1647 • Sandwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA,

Death 16 AUGUST 1738 • Rochester, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, USA,

who is related by my 10th great-grandmother.

--
May 29, 2016 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommy;

Greeting, I  also Thompson , Waters and Freeman as well on the Robins /Robbins side.

Jimmie Lee Robins 

--
June 19, 2016 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk Robbins

Rev. Jimmie Lee Robins [Tuklo Bish-Ko-Ko] at January 1, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Tommyhawk Robbins at December 20, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Tommy

You are looking for William Berry Robins/Robbins Sr's side of your family.  William's two daughters Fannie & Sarah, married to Ross and Hick. William is my 2 great - grandfather. If has very specfic American Indian roll 

What do you mean by specific Indian Roll? Are they on the Cherokee Rolls?

Tommy

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

July 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vivian Markley

Zilpha Thompson's grandfather James Blevins Jr 1765 /Lydia Sizemore was the brother of my grandfather, Nathan Blevins/Lydia Vaughn.  Blevins descend from John Bunch/Mary Temperance Bates.  

There is another court case in Ohio that has a Wooten connection that I have been trying to unwind the Wooten for severeal years in my husbands line.  Parker Jeffries came to Greene co,  Ohio and filed to win the right to vote based on being only 1/4 Indian. Susan Wooten was a strong voice in his court case.  My husband is out of the Jeffries line which came to Greene Co earlier in the 1800.

I would like to either prove or disprove that Mary Wooten and Sarah Wooten are from the same Wooten family and discover if there are any connections to the  Wooten Quakers.  

--

Vivian Markley

Treasure is best found under the rock that no one else had turned over.

Vivian Markley

Tribes, Clans and Quakers

http://quakerig.blogspot.com/

October 31, 2016 at 8:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk Robbins

Vivian Markley at October 31, 2016 at 8:00 AM

Zilpha Thompson's grandfather James Blevins Jr 1765 /Lydia Sizemore was the brother of my grandfather, Nathan Blevins/Lydia Vaughn.  Blevins descend from John Bunch/Mary Temperance Bates.  

There is another court case in Ohio that has a Wooten connection that I have been trying to unwind the Wooten for severeal years in my husbands line.  Parker Jeffries came to Greene co,  Ohio and filed to win the right to vote based on being only 1/4 Indian. Susan Wooten was a strong voice in his court case.  My husband is out of the Jeffries line which came to Greene Co earlier in the 1800.

I would like to either prove or disprove that Mary Wooten and Sarah Wooten are from the same Wooten family and discover if there are any connections to the  Wooten Quakers.  

If you are a Bunch descendant, then you are my cousin. I descend through Paul's son Henry, then his daughter Susanna Bunch and her first husband. We have Thompson surname as well in the Southern Band of Tuscarora.

Would love to discuss more.

Thomas Robbins

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

December 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk Robbins

Rest in Peace my Cherokee cousin, JIMMIE LEE ROBINS. May the Great Spirit embrace you with the arms of comfort and peace. May your spirit find rest.

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

December 11, 2016 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.