Chowanoke Descendants Community

Forum

Forum Home > Genealogy > Hoyter Family

AletaB

I agree there are so many Johns and Williams that it is difficult to keep them straight, but I have found information from the Brunswick County, Va. record books that includes the names of the orphaned children after John Robert Jones, father of  William Freeman Jones, was killed in a skirmish with the British. there seemed to have been some custody issues. It mentions Freeman as well as the other children with 2 of the older children taking custody of the younger ones.. There is also a marriage contract between Freeman's widowed mother, Anna, and a Lazarus Mattox dated 1786 and another agreement protecting her property if she were to marry him. The family must have been suspicious of him. They show up later in NC, as does William Freeman Jones.

--
May 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pat Thomas Fujii

Many years ago some of Jones researchers looked at John Robert Jones of Brunswick Co. VA and found that he must have died after Mar 1780 and before Aug 1781.  He CANNOT be the father of FREEMAN JONES (b. 1763) whose fatherwas killed in some skirmish early in the war when Freeman was 12 or 14 years (1775to 1777 time frame.

(1) I have a copy of JohnRobert Jones Will Dated June 24, 1775 which mentions Anne, his wife and all mychildren.. He names his Sons Baalam Jones and Edward Jones as Executors.

(2) On Aug27, 1781 Anne Jones was appointed guardian to her children, Sally, Freeman,Jordan, Rolling and Christopher Jones.

(3) JohnJones and Lucy Jones, orphans of John Robert Jones, decd, made choice of BaalomJones to be their guardian on Oct 22, 1781.

(4) ChancerySuite for John Robert Jones Heirs dated Aug 26, 1782. In it Sally, Freeman, Jordan and Christopher Jonesby Anne Jones, their guardian and next friend VS Baalam Jones, John Jones, JohnGreen and Dolly his wife, Zachariah Floyd andAnne his wife, James Maclin and Lucy his wife.

a)   John Green married Dolly Joneson Dec 5, 1772 in Brunswick Co. VA

b)   Zachariah Floyd married AnnJones on Feb 24, 1772 in Brunswick Co., VA

c)    James Maclin married Lucy Joneson Jan 22, 1783 in Bruncwick Co., VA

(5) There is a Freeman JonesEstate Inventory Appraisement reeturned to Brunswick Co. VA Court, January 25,1802 showing 1 horse, 1 man’s saddle; saddle bags; 1 bridle; 1 silver watch; 1great coat, etc. It was witnessed Oct 21, 1801 by Thomas Edmunds,administrator.  Looks like items for a single man.  He is probably son of JohnRobert Jones and not our Freeman Jones of Rutherford Co.NC married to Christian Pearis/Parris, daughter of George Pearis #2.

June 11, 2012 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pat Thomas Fujii

Re: George Pearis #2 and another wife Jane

Found this information in the Bulletin of Genealogical society of Old Tryon Co., August 2003, Number3:

April 1791 : (p.137)On affidavit of Archibald Graham, Margaret Graham, John McKinny, Capt. Wm. Nevill & David Dicky filedin the clerk’s office of said county ordered that letters of administration heretofore issued to Jane Paress berevoked & that Robert Pariss have letters of administration in hisstead on the goods & chattles rights & credits of George Paress deceasedwho entered into bond with Daniel Hervie & David Dicky Esq. in the sum of two thousand pound for faithful administration on said estate & qualifydaccordingly.  Robert Paress administrator on the estate of George Paressdeceased returns an inventory of said estate.

I tried to get more information from Old Tryon Geneological Society, but no response after several attempts.  Maybe one of you have this information already or can try to request it and share it.

I think this maybe George Pearis #2 (father of Christian Pearis m. Freeman Jones). Would be interesting to find out why the "wife" Jane Paress was revoked as administrator based on the affidavits of the neighbors.  Was she another Indian wife? 

Also Robert Paress maybe the son of George Pearis #2. Found in a search of the NC Archives on-line site Robert Paress had a File No. 374, Warrant No. 1219 for 100 Acresentered Feb 22, 1779, Book No. 65, Page 479 on Sinking Creek (Tenn).  Sinking Creek is in Greene Co., Tenn which is same place where George Pearis #2 son Robert Paris moved to after the Revolutionary War.  Greene Co. Remember that George #2 gave previously Power of Attorney to his “wellknown and trusty friend” Robert Paris of the state of North Carolina Green Co.on July 12, 1788 to sell land.

June 11, 2012 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jason Stanley

Is there any evidence that Thomas Hoyter had any sons?

August 5, 2013 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Fletcher Freeman

John and Thomas Hoyter disappear from the historical records after 1746 but the Hiter name re-appears elsewhere in North Carolina and is identified with “Mulattoes” and “Other Free” persons which was one way of describing Indians.

A 1782 list of tithables shows Benjamin and Jacob Hider/Hyder in Rutherford County, NC and the 1790 Census of Rutherford County, NC lists a Benjamin Hider/Hyder.

The 1800 Census of Currituck County, NC on p.149 shows Abraham Hiter head of a household of 6 Mulattoes.

The 1810 Census of Currituck County, NC lists John, Elizabeth, and Abraham Hiter as “Other Free.”

The 1810 census of Pasquotank County, NC lists John, Asa, and Tom Hyter as “Other Free.”

The 1830 Census of Currituck County, NC lists Ana Hiter with “2 Free Col.”on psge 242 and Isam Hiter with “3 Free Col.” on page 228.

The 1850 Census of Currituck County, NC lists Amy Hiter age 60 and “B” race in the same household with Nancy Hiter, age 30 “W” race and Bitsey Hiter, age 12 “W” race.

--

August 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nancy Crutchley

My line is through John and Tabitha Freeman's daughter Tabitha. She married Zebulon Mansfield. Tabitha and Zebulon had a daughter Mary. She and William Trotman had John Freeman Mansfield. John Freeman Mansfield married Nancy Floyd. They had Elizabeth Mansfield who married a Moore. They had Nancy Moore who had Josephine Moore who married Reuben Madrin Haskett. They had my father Patrick Henry Haskett who married a Kentucky lady (still living, 93+ yrs. old). Then they had me. They lived in Hertford and some in Elizabeth City. Many of the descendants are still in that area. I have pictures of the old home place in Hetford of the Mansfields and Moores. It was built in 1844, I think.

--
September 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neal Freeman

John Fletcher Freeman at December 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM

While "googling" I found a reference to some descendants of Chief Thomas Hoyter and contacted the person who posted the reference to GenForum.  He said that the Teator/Pearis family has a letter signed by a Benjamin Hoyter/Hiter telling how a George Pearis went to Chowan County in 1743/44 to serve as a marriage bond for Ann Martin and John Hall.  While there George Pearis/Paris allegedly married Elizabeth the "half white" daughter of Chief Thomas Hoyter.  George and Elizabeth had three daughters--Rhoda who married Harry Hohimer,  Sarah who married  George Teator and Christian who married  Freeman Jones.  This person also provided some census and tax records showing:

Benjamin and Jacob Hider/Hyder in Rutherford County, NC in 1782

Benjamin Hider/Hyder in Rutherford County, NC in 1790 census

John, Elisabeth and Abereham Hiter in Currituck County, NC in 1810 as "Other Free"

John, Asa, and Tom Hyter in Pasquotank County, NC in 1810 as "Other Free"

If I get a copy of the letter I will post.

Mr Freeman. You and I exchanged email several years im the past. We have the same DNA. I am descented from Tabitha's 9th child william. Willian has been ccertified by the DAR as to aiding the revolution to my uncle' dau. Thus all I would need for my daughter would her decendency from my grandfather. Jett Freeman, spamish Fork , Alabamaalso has our. DNA and tracice back to another son other than yours and mine DNA sons of tabitha and john Freeman and documentslto edgemere County, south carolina. So it prove the statments of Merrill hill in her book are corrrct in her re search of out early.genealogy. I havd also the genealogy of the Hinton Family and it is correct. The current female relative are alive and well in Jackson mississippi. They can trace mother to mother to tabitha. Question what more di we need to become recognized by the tribe in order to get a citizenship card?
--
October 18, 2016 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vivian Markley

I am a little hesitant to jump in here as this is not my lines that I know of but I do know a little about David Hickey and John McKinney.  The both migrate to Bullock's Creek in what becomes York Co.SC .  This is in the South Carolina Archives

DICKEY, JOHN, MEMORIAL FOR 200 ACRES IN TRYON COUNTY, N.C., SUMMARIZING A CHAIN OF TITLE TO A GRANT TO WILLIAM SHARP OF OCT. 13, 1765. View all index terms 

Then this

Date: 2/3/1784

Description: HITE, GEORGE, PETITION CONCERNING DISPUTED INDIAN LANDS OWNED BY HIS LATE FATHER, AND ASKING THAT THE LEGISLATURE PASS A LAW TO CONFIRM THE TITLE TO HITE AND OTHER RELATIVES. (8 PAGES)

Names indexed: BEALE, ELIZABETH; BEALE, TAVERNER; GIST, WILLIAM; HITE, FRANCIS; HITE, GEORGE; HITE, JACOB OBANIAN; HITE, JAMES; HITE, JOHN; HITE, THOMAS; MANNING, MARY; NEVILLE, JOHN; PEARIS, GEORGE; PEARIS, RICHARD

Locations: BERKELEY COUNTY, VA; ENOREE RIVER; READY RIVER; SALUDA RIVER; VIRGINIA

Document type: PETITION

Topics: CHEROKEE INDIANS; ESTATE DISPOSITIONS; INDIAN LANDS

Close

I am not sure of a direct link between Tavener Beale and my Beale which were Quakers but I do know that the Tavener family was early Quakers but there is a Pa marriage of Elizabeth Buffington to John Freeman.  This is the line that beomes the Buffington and Harlan Cherokee.  Unfortunately, I have not followed the Freeman down to see their migration trial but Quakers are fairly easy to trace.   

I know that my SC Stewart's etc in SC were all Loyalists with Richard Pearris and my Stewart grandmothers all come from these lines.  

--

Vivian Markley

Treasure is best found under the rock that no one else had turned over.

Vivian Markley

Tribes, Clans and Quakers

http://quakerig.blogspot.com/

October 31, 2016 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.