Chowanoke Descendants Community

Forum

Forum Home > Genealogy > Hoyter Family

John Fletcher Freeman

While "googling" I found a reference to some descendants of Chief Thomas Hoyter and contacted the person who posted the reference to GenForum.  He said that the Teator/Pearis family has a letter signed by a Benjamin Hoyter/Hiter telling how a George Pearis went to Chowan County in 1743/44 to serve as a marriage bond for Ann Martin and John Hall.  While there George Pearis/Paris allegedly married Elizabeth the "half white" daughter of Chief Thomas Hoyter.  George and Elizabeth had three daughters--Rhoda who married Harry Hohimer,  Sarah who married  George Teator and Christian who married  Freeman Jones.  This person also provided some census and tax records showing:

Benjamin and Jacob Hider/Hyder in Rutherford County, NC in 1782

Benjamin Hider/Hyder in Rutherford County, NC in 1790 census

John, Elisabeth and Abereham Hiter in Currituck County, NC in 1810 as "Other Free"

John, Asa, and Tom Hyter in Pasquotank County, NC in 1810 as "Other Free"

If I get a copy of the letter I will post.

--

December 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ChowanokeGirl

This will be an excellent addition to the site! Thanks.

January 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM Flagged Quote & Reply

Bill Stout

Hello John;

Look forward to your addition also, would like to exchange data with you. I too am a descendent of Tabitha Hoyter Freeman.

--

Bill Stout

1973 Bayard Ct.

Las Cruces, NM 88001

[email protected]

May 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Fletcher Freeman

Unfortunately none of the Teator- Pearis family could find a copy of the letter so there is nothing to add in the way of "proof."

Bill, I would be interested in learning your ancestry from John Freeman and Tabitha.  Mine is William, Richard, William s., George Washngton, George Clark, John Clark, and then me.   By the way, I was born in Albuquerque, NM but got to Texas as soon as i could! And then 50 years later came to "God's Country" in the wilderness of Northern Minnesota.

--

May 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Stout

I'm in Las Cruces by way of the USN, recruiting. But retired now. My line is William, John, John, Aaron, Moses, Tabitha, Mary "Polly". Then via the Rountree side to myself.

--

Bill Stout

1973 Bayard Ct.

Las Cruces, NM 88001

[email protected]

May 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marjie

I have been working on my family's genealogy, and I have a couple of question for you, if you don't mind. I know Mary Jane Freeman (dau. of Moses, son of Aaron, son of John, son of John and Tabitha), was married to Wm Elder Rees, my GGGF. What I'm not certain of is who is John Freeman's (the one married to Tabitha Hoyter) father and mother and how far back can we trace their ancestry? I've seen some trees that trace him to Wm. Brewster through Mercy Prence, married to a John Freeman, but I wonder what the group here believes, and whether anyone knows for certain.  I have also seen a James Freeman as his father.  Is this all supposition, or do we really know?  Do we have a genealogy somewhere and I just haven't seen it?  Thanks!  Marjie

--

Marjie

June 14, 2011 at 4:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Fletcher Freeman

There is a book "John Freeman of Norfolk County, Virginia" by Merrill Hill Mosher, a certified professional genealogist and Freeman descendant. John who married Tabitha Hoyter is the son of a William Freeman who was a son of the original John Freeman. There is no evidence of where he came from but she disproves the story about being related to John Freeman who married Mercy Prence. Also our John was not related to Bridges Freeman, an early and famous Virginia Planter. The book traces much of the family for at least two generations down from John and Tabitha. I have seen the book advertized on the Internet so if you Google it you should be able to find it.

--

June 15, 2011 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marjie

The more thoroughly I research, the more certain I am that our line is John and Tabitha to William, etc., rather than John.  It can become very confusing because the Freeman's seemed to love the names "John", William", Moses", and "Mary Ann" or "Mary Jane".  Then people tended to inter-marry, so as a person is researching, they have to really focus and write info down so ther is no confusion.  Mercy, I never thought I would like weird names , such as Apple, Bronx, or Arpeggio, but gotta say---when your doing genealogy, seems as if that would make it easier, LOL!  It's coming together better, and I'm sure I'm correct.  Marjie

--

Marjie

June 16, 2011 at 3:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Darryl Sauer

MarJie

My line is through Tyre Freeman, His father was William first son of John and Tabitha Freeman. Johns father and mother were William Freeman and Mary Cording. William was the frist son of John and Hannah Freeman. John came to lower Norfolk VA about 1673

Mary Cording,wife of WilliamFreeman, was daughter of Thomas Cording, grandaughter of Richard Cordind and his wife Ann Browne, great granddaughter of Lt. Col. Thomas Browne who came to VA about 1635. He was high Sheriff of lower Norfolk County VA. He was a true Virginia  Cavalier.

Darryl Sauer

--

Darryl Sauer

June 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neal Freeman

John Fletcher Freeman at June 15, 2011 at 12:08 PM

There is a book "John Freeman of Norfolk County, Virginia" by Merrill Hill Mosher, a certified professional genealogist and Freeman descendant. John who married Tabitha Hoyter is the son of a William Freeman who was a son of the original John Freeman. There is no evidence of where he came from but she disproves the story about being related to John Freeman who married Mercy Prence. Also our John was not related to Bridges Freeman, an early and famous Virginia Planter. The book traces much of the family for at least two generations down from John and Tabitha. I have seen the book advertized on the Internet so if you Google it you should be able to find it.

John and Tabitha Freeman had 10 known chldren,  Preciller Freeman married William Hinton in Gates county.    They had children, one a daughter had chldren and her daughter had children and a daughter ....   There are living daughters in Mississippi.  This is the only mtDNA of daughter to daughter to daughter that I have seen anywhere.

Descendants of Thomas Hoyter

1 Thomas Hoyter b: in Chowan Indian

........... 2 Tabitha Hoyter b: Abt. 1704 d: Aft. 1736

............... +John Freeman b: 1700 in Norfolk Co., Va. d: Abt. 1785 in Died Jun 1777 in Chowan Co. NC

1 Preciller Freeman b: Abt. 1730

. +William Hinton d: 1806 in Gates County

........... 2 Elizabeth Hinton b: 1768 d: July 10, 1860

............... +Lewis Thompson b: Abt. 1768

......................... 3 Margaret Louisa Thompson b: April 08, 1808 d: March 16, 1880

............................. +John Taylor Johnstone b: Abt. 1800

...................................... 4 Helen S. J. Johnstone b: 1846

...................................... 4 Frances Ann Johnstone b: November 06, 1825 in Annandale, Madison County, Mississippi d: March 24, 1907

.......................................... +William J. Britton b: 1823 d: 1871

.................................................... 5 Margaret Louise Maggie Britton b: May 17, 1844 in 1846 on 1910 census

........................................................ +Rev. Charles C. Parsons d: November 1878

.................................................................. 6 Fanny B. Parsons b: 1879

...................................................................... +Hugh GraemeThompson b: 1868

............................................................................... 7 Hugh Miller Thompson b: 1907 d: 1928

................................................................................... +Annie Mae White

............................................................................................. 8 Helen Thompson

............................................................................................. 8 Hugh Miller Thompson II

............................................................................... 7 Margaret S. Thompson b: 1909 in Jackson, Mississippi

............................................................................................. 8 Grae Mollere b: in Jackson, Mississippi

............................................................................... 7 John Lee Thompson b: 1913

............................................................................... 7 Fannie Thompson b: 1915

.................................................................. 6 Charles C. Parsons b: 1875

...................................................................... +Elizabeth

............................................................................... 7 Charles C. Parsons b: 1906

............................................................................... 7 Elizabeth H. Parsons b: 1908

.................................................... 5 William Britton b: 1853 d: December 24, 1894

........................................................ +Mamie b: 1858 d: 1884

.................................................................. 6 William Johnstone Britton b: January 14, 1880 in Madison county, Mississippi d: June 1961

...................................................................... +Ellen Ward Poindexter

............................................................................... 7 William J. Britton

............................................................................... 7 George Harris Britton

............................................................................... 7 Ellen Ward Britton

.................................................... *2nd Wife of William Britton:

........................................................ +Laura Nicholson

.................................................................. 6 Louis Nicholson Britton

......................... 3 Noah Hinton Thompson

......................... 3 Mary Thompson

......................... 3 Lewis Whitmill Thompson

........... 2 Sally Hinton

........... 2 John Hinton

........... 2 William Hinton

August 7, 2011 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ChowanokeGirl

Did anyone do any DNA testing on that Maternal line or have any results? Would be intersting to see the results.

August 9, 2011 at 9:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard Bogan

I just join this great site.  It appears that I do have a connection with the Hoyter line and John Freeman.  Early research as just discovered you guys

John Freeman (1710 - 1776)

is your 6th great grandfather

William Freeman (1737 - 1802)

Son of John

Richard Freeman (1770 - 1842)

Son of William

Sarah Freeman (1802 - 1850)

Daughter of Richard

Jabez Ezra Chandler (1825 - 1898)

Son of Sarah

Rose Ann Chandler (1853 - 1930)

Daughter of Jabez Ezra

Mary Elizabeth Smith (1886 - 1979)

Daughter of Rose Ann

Arthur Truett Bogan (1918 - 1983)

Son of Mary Elizabeth

Richard L. Bogan

You are the son of Arthur Truett - (not you?)

My line goes like this.  In process of making sure on the connections. Interesting the Chandlers ,with information from Chandler Family ASSoc. , have traced my line back to John Chandler who arrived at Jamestown 1610 of the ship Hercules. 

Welcome any help and contact,  

August 28, 2011 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Janet Foster

Bill Stout at May 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I'm in Las Cruces by way of the USN, recruiting. But retired now. My line is William, John, John, Aaron, Moses, Tabitha, Mary "Polly". Then via the Rountree side to myself.

Bill,

Did you have any Birdsongs in your line along with the Rountrees?  Were some of the Roundtrees NA?

Janet

November 4, 2011 at 2:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sherlene2

Marjie at June 14, 2011 at 4:10 AM

I have been working on my family's genealogy, and I have a couple of question for you, if you don't mind. I know Mary Jane Freeman (dau. of Moses, son of Aaron, son of John, son of John and Tabitha), was married to Wm Elder Rees, my GGGF. What I'm not certain of is who is John Freeman's (the one married to Tabitha Hoyter) father and mother and how far back can we trace their ancestry? I've seen some trees that trace him to Wm. Brewster through Mercy Prence, married to a John Freeman, but I wonder what the group here believes, and whether anyone knows for certain.  I have also seen a James Freeman as his father.  Is this all supposition, or do we really know?  Do we have a genealogy somewhere and I just haven't seen it?  Thanks!  Marjie

From http://genforum.genealogy.com/or/coos/messages/241.html

"Thanks so much for your reply. I have located Ms. Mosher and her research materials. Her materials are not with her, and have been donated to the Genealogical Forum of Oregon, in Portland. Unfortunately, her materials have not been cataloged and the depository cannot help me to get a copy of the records that I need. -Sherry"

December 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sherlene2

Neal Freeman at August 7, 2011 at 12:29 PM

John Fletcher Freeman at June 15, 2011 at 12:08 PM

John and Tabitha Freeman had 10 known chldren,  Preciller Freeman married William Hinton in Gates county.    They had children, one a daughter had chldren and her daughter had children and a daughter ....   There are living daughters in Mississippi.  This is the only mtDNA of daughter to daughter to daughter that I have seen anywhere.

Descendants of Thomas Hoyter

1 Thomas Hoyter b: in Chowan Indian

........... 2 Tabitha Hoyter b: Abt. 1704 d: Aft. 1736

............... +John Freeman b: 1700 in Norfolk Co., Va. d: Abt. 1785 in Died Jun 1777 in Chowan Co. NC

1 Preciller Freeman b: Abt. 1730

. +William Hinton d: 1806 in Gates County

........... 2 Elizabeth Hinton b: 1768 d: July 10, 1860

............... +Lewis Thompson b: Abt. 1768

......................... 3 Margaret Louisa Thompson b: April 08, 1808 d: March 16, 1880

............................. +John Taylor Johnstone b: Abt. 1800

...................................... 4 Helen S. J. Johnstone b: 1846

...................................... 4 Frances Ann Johnstone b: November 06, 1825 in Annandale, Madison County, Mississippi d: March 24, 1907

.......................................... +William J. Britton b: 1823 d: 1871

.................................................... 5 Margaret Louise Maggie Britton b: May 17, 1844 in 1846 on 1910 census

........................................................ +Rev. Charles C. Parsons d: November 1878

.................................................................. 6 Fanny B. Parsons b: 1879

...................................................................... +Hugh GraemeThompson b: 1868

............................................................................... 7 Hugh Miller Thompson b: 1907 d: 1928

................................................................................... +Annie Mae White

............................................................................................. 8 Helen Thompson

............................................................................................. 8 Hugh Miller Thompson II

............................................................................... 7 Margaret S. Thompson b: 1909 in Jackson, Mississippi

............................................................................................. 8 Grae Mollere b: in Jackson, Mississippi

............................................................................... 7 John Lee Thompson b: 1913

............................................................................... 7 Fannie Thompson b: 1915

.................................................................. 6 Charles C. Parsons b: 1875

...................................................................... +Elizabeth

............................................................................... 7 Charles C. Parsons b: 1906

............................................................................... 7 Elizabeth H. Parsons b: 1908

.................................................... 5 William Britton b: 1853 d: December 24, 1894

........................................................ +Mamie b: 1858 d: 1884

.................................................................. 6 William Johnstone Britton b: January 14, 1880 in Madison county, Mississippi d: June 1961

...................................................................... +Ellen Ward Poindexter

............................................................................... 7 William J. Britton

............................................................................... 7 George Harris Britton

............................................................................... 7 Ellen Ward Britton

.................................................... *2nd Wife of William Britton:

........................................................ +Laura Nicholson

.................................................................. 6 Louis Nicholson Britton

......................... 3 Noah Hinton Thompson

......................... 3 Mary Thompson

......................... 3 Lewis Whitmill Thompson

........... 2 Sally Hinton

........... 2 John Hinton

........... 2 William Hinton

Did they have HVR1 and 2 tested?  What haplogroup & subclade did they show up in?  I'd love more info on this.

December 10, 2011 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sherlene2

Every tree that I have found for Elizabeth Hinton, wife of Lewis Thompson, shows her parents as William Hinton (1725-1796) and Mary Blanchard (1745-).  Does anyone have a links showing her mother as Precillar Freeman?

December 10, 2011 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AletaB

This site has helped me locate information that seemed to be family lore, but I could not find documentation for many years. Thank you to all the contributors. It seems I am related to Christian Pearis through Elizabeth Hoyter. I believe my ancestry relating to the Hoyter/Jones/Pearis family is the following:

9. Aleta Burgé (living)

8. Viron Burge (living) m. Mary Stanford (living)

7. Hilray T. Burge ( b. 1899)(son of Frederick Burge) m Clara A. Thompson ( b. 1900)

6. Frederick Burge ( b. 1872) m Emily Lowe ( b. 1876) (daughter of John Lowe)

5. John Lowe ( b. 1832) m. Allie Jones ( b. 1831) (daughter of Freeman Jones II)

4. William Freeman Jones II ( b. 1805) (son of Freeman Jones) m. Virginia Herndon ( b. 1808)

3. William Freeman Jones ( b. 1763) m. Christian Pearis ( b. 1767) (daughter of George Pearis and Elizabeth Hoyter)

2. George Pearis Jr. ( b. 1722) m. Elizabeth Hoyter (Hiter, daughter of Chief Thomas Hoyter) ( b. ca 1743)

1. Chief Thomas Hoyter

1. George Pearis (Parris) Sr. ( b. 1680-5) m. Sarah Neely ( b. 1695)

--
May 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AletaB

This site has helped me locate information that seemed to be family lore, but I could not find documentation for many years. Thank you to all the contributors. It seems I am related to Christian Pearis through Elizabeth Hoyter. I believe my ancestry relating to the Hoyter/Jones/Pearis family is the following:

9. Aleta Burgé (living)

8. Viron Burge (living) m. Mary Stanford (living)

7. Hilray T. Burge ( b. 1899)(son of Frederick Burge) m Clara A. Thompson ( b. 1900)

6. Frederick Burge ( b. 1872) m Emily Lowe ( b. 1876) (daughter of John Lowe)

5. John Lowe ( b. 1832) m. Allie Jones ( b. 1831) (daughter of Freeman Jones II)

4. William Freeman Jones II ( b. 1805) (son of Freeman Jones) m. Virginia Herndon ( b. 1808)

3. William Freeman Jones ( b. 1763) m. Christian Pearis ( b. 1767) (daughter of George Pearis and Elizabeth Hoyter)

2. George Pearis Jr. ( b. 1722) m. Elizabeth Hoyter (Hiter, daughter of Chief Thomas Hoyter) ( b. ca 1743)

1. Chief Thomas Hoyter

1. George Pearis (Parris) Sr. ( b. 1680-5) m. Sarah Neely ( b. 1695)

--
May 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AletaB

I was looking over Richard Bogan's posting, comparing it to my own and noticed a difference in the birthdates of William Freeman. I have it as 1763, which is consistent with his father being killed in 1776, when he was 13, which was alluded to in his application for a Revolutionary War Pension. 

What could explain the differences in our information?

--
May 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AletaB

I have inadvertently posted the same info 2x, but don't seem able to delete it...can someone help on this?

--
May 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.