Chowanoke Descendants Community

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > John Bennett/ Rebecca Denae Ross

VMOC

Hi there, 

I see in the list of known surnames is Bennett. I have a John Bennett (1750) from North Carolina married I think to Rebecca Denae Ross. Any linkages there that anyone is aware of with Chowanoke? They had a son James Bennett (1784) and my relative Levi Bennett. 

thanks!

January 19, 2014 at 12:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Janet Foster

Hi VMOC,

I've heard many times about John & Rebecca but no one seems to have verification. I have only one record of a James Bennett in Knox County, KY. Many on Amos & Levi Bennett in Knox & Whitley Counties.

I have record of application to Guion Miller Roll for Amos Bennett b1791 as son of Ezekiel Bennett and states that he is said to be 1/4 Cherokee.

I am descended from Amos Bennett b1791 TN. His descendants'  Ydna is a very close match tor Levi descendant and Ezekiel Bennett b 1792-95, s/o John Bennett.

My interest is in James Bennett and Amos Bennett listed as Indians in deeds as Chowan & Bennett's Creek Indians.

Janet (Bennett) Foster

January 21, 2014 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

johntwohawk lloyd

To the post by Janet Foster, I have this info. James Bennet or Bennett 1668 Surry Va, Blackwater River/Chowan Tribe. Be aware that this Indian line was also the Governor Richard Bennet family 1756 ancestral line, according to all the info I have. I have as 5th Grandparent the Bennet line. Mine was Sarah Ann Bennet1833 wayne Co. Ga and William James, next Richard Bennet1803 Bryan Ga. then William 1786 Effingham Ga, he had wife Margaret Ussery/Cherokee, thenGovernor Bennet1756, then Benjsmin Bennet 1704 Va, and James the Chowan plus Mary Rogers (Cherokee or Chowan). The Governor Bennet person had Mary Cook( his wife) of the James Cook and Margaret Hawthorne Family. Maybe this is some help to your research. Any corrections cheerfully accepted. Thank you

--

John Michael Lloyd

April 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Janet Foster

VMOC at January 19, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Hi there, 

I see in the list of known surnames is Bennett. I have a John Bennett (1750) from North Carolina married I think to Rebecca Denae Ross. Any linkages there that anyone is aware of with Chowanoke? They had a son James Bennett (1784) and my relative Levi Bennett. 

thanks!

Hi VMOC,

If you are Victoria then we are related per gedmatch.  I would be very interested to know what record you have on James Bennett and Is your Levi Bennett the one who mar'd Nancy Harp in Knox Co., KY?  I have one record of a  James Bennett in early Knox Co., KY when he signed on a survey dated Dec., 1814 for Joshua Tye. 

I'm going to check how we match and I'll send you an email when I get some time.

Janet (Bennett) Foster

May 21, 2014 at 1:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Janet Foster

johntwohawk lloyd at April 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM

To the post by Janet Foster, I have this info. James Bennet or Bennett 1668 Surry Va, Blackwater River/Chowan Tribe. Be aware that this Indian line was also the Governor Richard Bennet family 1756 ancestral line, according to all the info I have. I have as 5th Grandparent the Bennet line. Mine was Sarah Ann Bennet1833 wayne Co. Ga and William James, next Richard Bennet1803 Bryan Ga. then William 1786 Effingham Ga, he had wife Margaret Ussery/Cherokee, thenGovernor Bennet1756, then Benjsmin Bennet 1704 Va, and James the Chowan plus Mary Rogers (Cherokee or Chowan). The Governor Bennet person had Mary Cook( his wife) of the James Cook and Margaret Hawthorne Family. Maybe this is some help to your research. Any corrections cheerfully accepted. Thank you

Thanks for the information John Twohawk. 

Do you have any other children of James Bennett, the Chowan other than Benjamin 1704 VA?  And, could Benjamin have been the Benjamin Bennett in Rockbridge Co., VA about 1780?  Old VA marriages shows 3 sons as heirs of Benjamin (1783 I think).  Sons named were, Ezekiel, James & John Bennett.  I'm looking for an Ezekiel Bennett born around 1750. 

Do you have a good source for the records you have?  Do you know of any Bennett males in this line who have tested on Ydna?  My Bennetts (5 or 6 Ydna testers in Whitley KY),  don't seem to match with any other Bennetts. 

Janet ( Bennett) Foster

May 21, 2014 at 1:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]

I have Bennett's in my line that married into our family the Balls, Bennetts and Bailey's but I will have to look up the given names again. 

July 24, 2014 at 12:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

suthainn

Hello, I know this is an older thread, but I have a ton of Bennetts in my family as well as Andersons and Langstons. So far the ones off the top of my head is Benjamin Franklin Bennett m. Delila Langston Holder...his father was a John Bennett. I have to look over more names to place them here. Maybe in time I can connect to someone! ~suthainn

May 31, 2016 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk Robbins

Can you be more specific, like where did they live? My William Franklin Bennett was born in Chickasaw territory in Alabama and we believe descended from the Chowan Bennett. Contact me by e-mail [email protected]

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

July 11, 2016 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chowanoke
Site Owner

Unfortunately, the Bennett line has been notoriously difficult to trace. There seem to have been more white Bennetts than there were Chowanoke Bennetts, so a good place to start would be to see if any of your Bennetts are listed as "free people of color," "mulatto," or anything non-white. If your ancestor was listed as white, it doesn't necessarily mean they weren't Chowanoke, but it would be a great clue to point you in the right direction. Also look at the location. were they near the area of the Albemarle Sounds, particularly the north side? That is where most Chowanoke Bennetts were from, especially Chowan and Gates Counties. By the early 1800s, there were only a couple Bennetts left that are identifiable as Chowanoke in the vicinity of the reservation. By the mid 1800s they were all gone. Which means they either married into other families without having passed on their surname, or moved on to other locations. A tough nut to crack!

November 28, 2016 at 6:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tommyhawk Robbins

Suthainn is actually my cousin through the Bunch and Holder family who were Sapony and Tuscarora and now a member of the Southern Band Tuscarora. Her Bennetts very well may be of the Chowanoke Bennett just like my other cousin's Bennetts, Jeanette White Eys, who is a former clan mother. Capt. William Bennett of the Black waters and children, as lined out by Saddie Sparks, had a lot of dealings with the Indian Woods peoples, my peoples. History places an invitation for Chowanoke to be on the Indian Woods, and there were. I may have traced my one line of Chickasaw Bennett to Martin then to Bertie and then, my other line I definitely tied to the white side of the same Bennett of the Black Waters through Hardy and Council. I do have lots of DNA matches to Bennett, Sparks, etc and they do show Native/Siberian connections on the chromosomes to these surnames. I haven't had time to do an in depth study due to work, but hopefully I will be able to triangulate these names with Shoshone and other Bennett matches.

--

Thomas E. Robbins Jr.

December 11, 2016 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.